Baby Ticker!

 BabyFetus Ticker

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Soul

I had my first soup-making-from-scratch experience today and it made me feel very domesticated! As the pages of our calendar get increasingly close to "May," I'm starting to worry about my wifely skills. Yes, I know my fiance almost as well as myself, and yes, I know what he likes, dislikes, wants to eat, how much he likes to eat, that he is very clean and particular about his environment, how he likes to do his laundry, what his favorite brands of soap/shampoo/ lotion are, brands of underwears, and other miscellaneous yet important tidbits (and might I say, that's not bad for not living together AT ALL!!!)

But one lonely little skill that I am self conscious about is...... cooking.

I'm not a bad cook! I don't burn much, I mean. My more frequent problem is things being under-seasoned. But lately, I've been hitting the nail on the head! My MIL taught me how to fry chicken and make cornbread, and I have many dishes up my sleeve from my own parents, whom are both great cooks. But one of my love's faves is biscuits made from scratch and I've been practicing for years! But my latest batch was, dare I say, perfect. I don't give myself all the credit, though, because his mom added some advice, but I'll take about 70%! I know I did right when his two youngest brothers eat my food, because they usually don't if it's not perfect, just to get on my nerves..... But that won't be so bad since we're moving in next door. Do I really want them coming over to eat all the time???

Anyways, I did it again with some apple crisp! And the latest- homemade chicken noodle soup! Here's how I made this fall (and cold/allergy/flu season) delight:

Ingredients:
Two stalks of celery chopped
10 baby carrots cut like coins
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium vidalia onion chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (fresh or from the jar)
salt/ pepper to taste
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or more if you like) to kick the sickness right out of your body
1 meaty boneless and skinless chicken breast, cubed
Noodles of some kind

Saute the chopped veggies and garlic in olive oil until soft, seasoned, and slightly brown. While sauteing, boil the noodles with salt to taste. After veggies are done and the onions are slightly brown, pour the veggies into the finished noodles. Do not drain the noodles! Leave a few onions in the pan and a a dash of olive oil for the chicken. Saute the chicken on medium with pepper, a pinch of garlic, and the cayenne pepper. Make sure the chicken doesn't get too tough. Pour the finished chicken into the soup and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste and leave covered on medium/low for as long as desired or until the celery is soft.

I anticipate making this again and again for me and my babe, as well as any kidlings we will have in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment